Journal and Conference Publications | Books | Newspaper Articles |
Other Writing | Projects | Teaching
Sulakshana Mahajan is a researcher in Urban and Women's issues, with a particular focus on India. She has published several papers, articles and newspaper columns. Her writing appears in both English and Marathi language publications.
She is a visiting lecturer at Sir J. J. School of Art and Architecture and Rachana Sansad's Academy of Architecture in Mumbai.
She resides in Thane, India.
Journal and Conference Publications
- Mahajan, Sulakshana. "Urban India: Myths and Reality".
Published version (Marathi): HTML
- Dandekar, Hemalata and Mahajan, Sulakshana. "MSRDC and The Mumbai-Pune Expressway: A Sustainable Model for Privatizing Construction of Physical Infrastructure?" Paper published in the Economic and Political Weekly of India. 2001
Prepublication Draft: HTML | PDF
- Mahajan, Sulakshana. "Ramayan to Globalayan: The Transformation of Nasik" Paper presented at the City, Space and Globalization Conference at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. 1998
Prepublication Draft: HTML (> 500K) | PDF
- Mahajan, Sulakshana. "Mass Rapid Transit System for Thane: Viable Solution for Indian Cities?". Working paper.
Draft version: HTML
Slide Presentation (> 1 MB)
Arthasrushtee: Bhaav AaNi Swabhaav
Cover Art and Introduction
Marathi Translation of "The Nature of Economies" by Jane Jacobs
A book published by Granthali. Send e-mail to mihir at umich dot edu for details.
Collected and expanded articles from the weekly column "SankramaN" in the Marathi daily "Mahanagar". Send e-mail to mihir at umich dot edu for details.
In Loksatta (Marathi)
In other publications (Marathi)
- Interview with Shirish Patel, published in Tarun Bhaarat - Draft PDF (103KB)
- The Rent Control Act: Main culprit in Slumming Mumbai NEW!
- Guest Editor of special issue on Urbanization of Marathi journal "Aajachaa Sudhaarak". Some articles from the issue will be on this website soon.
- Rural and Urban processes. Read a draft of the article on "Rurbanization"
- Planning processes. Read a draft of the article on Planning for Principles
- An article about experiences in the US before and after September 11 appeared in the Feb 2002 issue of "Ruchi". The article is in Marathi, GIF images of the pages are posted here
- Guest Editor for special issue of "Aajachaa Sudhaarak" (Marathi journal) on Urbanization
- Presently working with the Stree Mukti Sanghatana, Mumbai on waste collection and recycling projects. (details online soon)
- The Konkan Project (details online soon)
(details online soon)
Please send comments/feedback by e-mail to mihir at umich dot edu